February 19, 2014

Review of Mind Games by Kiersten White


Mind Games by Kiersten White was a very enjoyable book though it had some slightly lacking parts. I originally finished Mind Games several days ago but I waited until its sequel Perfect Lies came out yesterday on the 19th. So, like I mentioned before I enjoyed this book and read it in about 3-4 hours, the plot and characters overall were developed and nicely fit into the book and I liked that Mind Games was more darker compared to Kiersten White's previous books. The romance was also good while I feel like a bit more could have been added to the plot line. It wasn't as intense as I expected it to be based on the book description but I still enjoyed it.

Fia and Annie are two sisters with special talents, Fia has perfect instincts while Annie is a blind seer (meaning she can she can predict the future with visions to a certain degree). The narrative switches between the two and flashbacks from both POV's provide a back story that is crucial to the plot. After their parents died the two sisters were tricked into to signing up for a school that used their talents for corporate espionage and other things. Mr. Keane (the owner of the school) holds Annie hostage so that Fia has to do his bidding for fear of her sister's death. Her instincts allow her to be an extremely talented fighter and allows her to predict stocks, steal things, and kill people.

The school breaks Fia when they trick her into planting a bomb that kills several people and then consequently making her kill others. When she snaps she kills their manager and a new one is brought in (hint: Fia knows the new manager and there may or may not be some romance involved). The writing perfectly showcased Fia's muddled thoughts and feelings after she snapped in a perfect way. Another character is Ms. Robertson who is a Reader (she can read people's minds). Fia basically hates her and does everything she can to make her uncomfortable. Other characters include Mr. Keane's son and one of Annie's friends.

I don't want to dive too much into the plot but I'm going to write a very short summary: When Fia is sent another mission where she has to kill someone she refuses to do it and saves the person, his name is Adam. This leads to her starting to disobey Keane and fight back. She has a budding romance with Keane's son who also hates the school and his father, the two of them team up against his father. There is much much more going on in the plot but like I said I don't want to spoil it.

4.5/5 - The story and characters were enjoyable and while it was intense it wasn't as intense as the description said it would be. I definitely recommend Mind Games as I'm sure that most people will love it and another bonus is that Perfect Lies (the sequel) came out so that you can read it as soon as you finish Mind Games.

My copy of Perfect Lies arrives tomorrow and once I have read it, I will post a review on how it was.




No comments:

Post a Comment