May 4, 2017

YA Takes Broadway




Hey everyone! Today I have Liv from Curlyhairbibliophile over on the blog and since we both love Broadway shows we decided to do a post on YA books we think should become musicals!

Bayram
The fact that Cinder is a loose retelling of Cinderella based in a sci-fi setting makes it a perfect candidate to be made into a show! It probably wouldn’t be the easiest because of all the sci-fi elements but I feel like it’s possible and it would be amazing.













Liv
Last year, I saw a post on Epic Reads talking about what YA books they think should be turned into musicals. Simon was one of the ones listed. The book already contains theatre kids, so why shouldn’t it be a broadway show already?













Bayram
Russia, magic, and folklore. Does this not sound like it would be a really good Broadway show? There’s already shows based in Russia like Fiddler on the Roof and The Great Comet of 1812 so The Crown’s Game would be a natural complement.













Liv
This answer is a bit of an odd one, but I feel like it would work. I think a show that’s sung-through would be such a powerful adaption. It’s hard to articulate how I think the show would be, but I think it would be really cool.














Bayram
Splintered is another one of those YA retellings, this one is of Alice in Wonderland though. The version of Alice in Wonderland that is Splintered + music would work really good for a show. Everyone already likes Alice in Wonderland and they also like Broadway so merging the two would definitely work.












Liv
Like The Book Thief, I really can’t explain how I think this would be adapted into a show.
















Bayram
Just like Cinder this is another book that’s sci-fi based, but unlike Cinder it is told after the plot has happened through an interview of sorts with the characters. That style of telling the story is what would make a good show, you could have the interview happening in the front while it’s acted out in the back or something like that. I’m no Broadway show designer but I know it would work.












Liv
About a year ago, it was announced that Ready Player One would have a movie adaption. Although, I think a musical might be just as good. The book is very focused on Video Games and 80’s references; I think a musical adaption would be so cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment