February 1, 2015

e-ARC Review of The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan


Release Date: September 2, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Page Count: 384
Format: e-ARC
Genre: YA 
Eveny Cheval just moved back to Louisiana after spending her childhood in New York with her aunt Bea. Eveny hasn’t seen her hometown since her mother’s suicide fourteen years ago, and her memories couldn’t have prepared her for what she encounters. Because pristine, perfectly manicured Carrefour has a dark side full of intrigue, betrayal, and lies—and Eveny quickly finds herself at the center of it all.
Enter Peregrine Marceau, Chloe St. Pierre, and their group of rich, sexy friends known as the Dolls. From sipping champagne at lunch to hooking up with the hottest boys, Peregrine and Chloe have everything—including an explanation for what’s going on in Carrefour. And Eveny doesn’t trust them one bit.
But after murder strikes and Eveny discovers that everything she believes about herself, her family, and her life is a lie, she must turn to the Dolls for answers. Something’s wrong in paradise, and it’s up to Eveny, Chloe, and Peregrine to save Carrefour and make it right.
*an e-ARC of this book was given to me via Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review*

The first time I laid eyes on The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan was during Epic Reads' #ARCParty last year when they were basically unwrapping and talking about the latest ARCs at that time. Not only did the cover look amazing but both Margot and Aubry's reactions to it made me want to read it desperately. As soon as the #ARCParty was over I went on Edelweiss and requested and soon after received and read it, while in the end it wasn't a perfect 5-star book it was still one that I enjoyed reading.

The whole southern + gothic setting isn't one that I usually like *cough* Rebel Belle *cough* but in this instance I managed not to hate it. The author made it work with book in a way so that it fit with the plot and bothered me at a minimum. The book itself was creepy in some parts and suspenseful as new pieces of information kept being fed to me. From finding out more about Carrefour to the history and skills of the girls. The plot itself was mostly unique and managed to keep me reading which is more then I can say about a good number of these types of books. Once again, nothing perfect or absolutely amazing in terms of the plot and settings but still a fairly good and interesting book.

The characters themselves were VERY well written, each person was more complex than I realized at first and were never the same on the inside that they were on the outside. Take The Dolls (the group of popular/rich girls) for example, they acted all snobby and whatnot on the outside but some of them had histories or reasons that made them act that way and then again they weren't always like that. From the main characters to the secondary characters they were all multi-dimensional and I certainly wouldn't say no to short stories about them. One thing that bothered myself was The Dolls themselves, they were pretty cliche. Like that one group of girls in high school who "rule" over everyone that you see in all the movies. Even the name was enough to make me cringe, that could have been worded a bit better. The romance was eh here and I could care less about it since it's the same stuff I've read a thousand times. Kiki manages to write some of the best characters I've read in a while and write the rest of the book to a degree where you want to read about them.

After the several "twists" or pieces of information that were given at the end of the book I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. It's not important enough to say be on a Wow post but I will still try to hunt up a ARC of the second book. If you like southern gothic stories, romance, and magic elements then you will probably enjoy The Dolls.

4/5 - Good book


No comments:

Post a Comment